On October 29, 2019, President Shavkat Mirziyoyev signed the Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan “On Science and Scientific Activities”.
This most important legislative document fastens the main positions in the field of science and scientific activity, the warrants of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Uzbekistan, the Ministry of Innovative Development, the Academy of Sciences, ministries and departments, scientific institutions, universities, as well as other organizations that coordinate and carry out scientific research.
The law specifically provides that higher education institutions
- participate in the development of state scientific programs, as well as international programs and ensure their implementation;
- provide training for highly qualified scientific personnel in relevant areas;
- commercialize scientific developments and encourage their authors, create the necessary conditions for attracting young people to science and the fruitfulness of their scientific activities, etc.
In addition, article 17 of the Law separately gives the procedure for carrying out scientific activities in higher educational institutions. According to them:
in higher educational institutions, along with the educational process, scientific activity is carried out;
The teaching staff of higher educational institutions are obliged to carry out scientific activities in relevant areas.
Higher educational institutions:
- in the manner prescribed by law, they have the right to create organizations engaged in the commercialization of scientific results, centers for the collective use of scientific equipment and other scientific organizations, as well as unique scientific objects;
- have the right to attract leading scientists, representatives of scientific organizations of national and international level to scientific activities, organize internships at leading national and foreign scientific organizations and educational institutions.
Higher educational institutions, ministries, departments and organizations that have subordinate higher educational institutions, the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Special Education of the Republic of Uzbekistan are responsible for enhancing the scientific potential of higher educational institutions.
According to the Law, persons carrying out scientific activities in state scientific organizations are granted annual paid leave of 48 working days, providing for material assistance.
The rules governing labor leave for those engaged in scientific activities come into force on January 1, 2020.
Adapted from the telegram channel of the Ministry of Higher and Secondary Special Education of the Republic of Uzbekistan (https://t.me/joinchat/AAAAAEX5-AudocFp7PIMcQ).